eDay Collection Stats

2007 – 2010

Number of cars through eDay sites: 57,700

Estimated number of items collected: 272,900

Estimated total tonnage: 3,220


What happens to e-waste?

How is e-waste collected at eDay 2010 going to be disposed of?

The recycling of the computer equipment to be collected this year will be managed under an agreement between the Ministry for the Environment and an external recycler, who is still to be appointed.A requirement for recycling the eDay waste is that it must be disposed in an environmentally sound manner and any waste material to be exported for recycling must have appropriate international consents called Basel permits. The recycler will be selected using standard government procurement processes,This will involve a request for proposals (RFP) inviting proposals from recyclers who are able to demonstrate recycling practices conforming to best international practice.

How do people know if the e-waste will be safely recycled?

The Ministry for the Environment will be overseeing this process; they will have a have a contract with the selected recycling provider, that will include reporting and monitoring requirements. The Ministry of Economic Development and the New Zealand Customs Service will ensure any exports of e-waste have the required international consents (Basel permits).

What should people do with computers that are still in working order?

We recommend that items in good condition are donated to genuine charities through www.donatenz.com or in Wellington and Auckland, these can be dropped off at recyclers – the Ark, Remarkit or HCC Pacific (see www.canz.org.nz for contact details). Items in good condition can also be sold on www.trademe.co.nz.

What about mobile phones?

The Trust accepts mobile phones on eDay, although this year is encouraging people to donate them to Starship’s Mobile Phone Recycling Appeal. eDay NZ is very keen to support organisations that already have sustainable recycling schemes in place.

What is the Ministry for the Environment doing about e-waste?

For information about what the Government is doing on e-waste, please visit the Ministry for the Environment’s website at www.mfe.govt.nz.

Is eDay the long term solution?

eDay NZ welcomed the Minister for the Environment’s announcement on 6 October 2010 that the government is not only supporting eDay but also seeking a long term solution to the growing problem of e-waste. The Minister’s announcement of funding support for the RCN Group and the Community Recycling Network to establish at least 20 e-waste collection points that will be open all year is a good step forward. eDay NZ is strongly aware of the need for an ongoing solution and plans to continue to collaborate with government and industry to work towards a longer term scheme for recycling e-waste in New Zealand. The eDay New Zealand Trust will continue to advocate for compulsory product stewardship schemes.

What happened to the e-waste collected at last year’s eDay?

* eDay NZ and the 2020 Communications Trust have a commitment to eDay partners and the New Zealand public that all the e-waste collected at eDay events are either re-used or responsibly recycled.

* Last year government agencies became aware that the eDay 2009 recycling partner was attempting to export some computer equipment for re-use, which does not require a Basel export permit. However, on inspection some of the equipment was considered unsuitable for re-use and therefore classified as e-waste, for which a permit is required. As the recycler did not hold a current Basel Permit at the time he faced court action charged with attempting to export e-waste without the necessary consents.

* This incident has provided a wake-up call to New Zealand recyclers, signalling the need for much greater care in testing and verifying any equipment to be exported for re-use. It has also put more pressure on finding sustainable recycling solutions in New Zealand.

* eDay NZ is satisfied that all e-waste collected at eDay 2009 has been disposed of in an environmentally sound manner;

* 90% of the waste collected at eDay 2009 has already been processed in an environmentally sound manner; the remaining 10% will be recycled of as part of the eDay 2010 event.

Any further questions regarding the disposal of e-waste from last year’s event can be directed to the Ministry for the Environment. Queries regarding the standards for exporting e-waste should be referred to the Ministry of Economic Development as administrators of the Basel Convention.